Ninewells Community Garden is looking for a new trustee to support our Charity to grow and develop.
Would you like to join the Board of a local charity which works to improve the health & wellbeing of children, young people and adults?
Ninewells Community Garden is a small local charity and exists to promote physical activity and mental health through community gardening. It sits within the grounds of Ninewells Hospital and Medical School and within the Menzieshill and Charleston communities.
Despite being a small charity we consistently achieve remarkable outcomes with minimal resources and are often told we have improved people’s lives. We rely on a dedicated team of staff, trustees and volunteers to maintain our garden and develop and deliver new opportunities
We are seeking an additional trustee to be our Treasurer. The Board is currently made up of 8 members and meets every 6 weeks and is looking to recruit a new member. You will be part of a small and friendly team of trustees and staff who are passionate about how gardening & being in green space increases our feeling of wellness and reduces social isolation.
The main duties are to maintain an overview of the charity’s financial affairs and ensure its financial viability; control expenditure; maintain proper financial records and procedures; and fulfil regulatory reporting requirements. You will work with our current Treasurer who wishes to step down from the role in the New Year.
As Ninewells Community Garden does not employ a finance officer or company secretary, this is a hands-on role covering the full range of financial, accounting, regulatory and governance issues.
Our trustees are all volunteers, most of whom live or work in the local community, and all of whom use their skills, knowledge and experience to help guide and govern our service, shape strategy, and give direction to the charity. This is an opportunity for you to make a real difference to the charity and to the local community.
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the Charity
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the charity.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc). Board meetings are held 6 weekly and last 1 hour.
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- 4 part time staff are employed in the Community garden to support volunteers and manage the garden.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories
- Purchasing limits
- Purchasing systems
- Petty cash/ float
- Salary payments
- PAYE and NI payments
- Others as appropriate
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with external auditor
Qualities & Skills that are desirable include
- We will provide a full induction to the role and it is possible to come and observe before you commit.
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- A desire to volunteer with a charity who are passionate about healthy outdoor environments which are open to all to enjoy and learn new skills
An opportunity to find out more
Contact email@example.com to express interest
Visit our web site for more information https://ninewellsgarden.org.uk/
And see lots more news on https://www.facebook.com/ninewellsgarden/
Closing date 12th January 2022